Best of the Superstars 2008




Every year about this time I would pop to town , to the Prowler Store in Soho and pick up the late John Patrick's wonderful ' Best Of the Superstars ' annual . It was such a treat and thinking about it now bring back so many fond and happy memories . Inside there was lots of gossip about which stars might be gay , gasp ! and which stars were seen with who and where . I didn't care if it was true or not , I just enjoyed the read . John wrote about the up and coming stars and the reigning  teen idols , I think Leonardo Di Caprio made the guide 3 years running and Marky Mark was often always featured , along with Rob Lowe , and Tom Cruise .  There was also a section about models particularly the Abercrombie and Fitch models . I think one year Johns star crush was Nick Carter from the Backstreet boys , Nick of course was in his prime with his blond bangs .



Sadly John died in 2003 and no further 'Best Of Superstars' were produced, for me a large part of my enjoyment of the books was finding some one else who liked to write about teen idols and their lives .Today of course much of what John wrote about , people blog about or have sites about , given that when John wrote his books the Internet was just taking off in relation to fan sites or 'shrines' . I wonder what John would think about the teen idol scene , who would he write about ? who would he feature ?.

You can still buy the ' Best of Superstars ' 2001 and 2002 editions over at StarPress where John wrote a proflic amount of fiction too.

For me John is  a much missed writer who provided  great enjoyment for many of his readers .